Friday, February 27, 2009

Culture الثقافة: The People

One way I'm reminded how fast my time here is going is how long it's been since my last blog entry, which feels like last week. I wanted to share more information and observations about the culture, this time a little about the people living here.

HOSPITALITY

Even before arriving here I have often heard of how hospitable the Arab culture is. Guests are viewed and given special courtesy in the Arab culture. The other day a taxi driver, who married a German woman and worked with a US company in Germany for 30 years, was briefly explaining how guests are viewed as special. He said that as Arabs fight/mistreat other Arabs, they will take special care of guests to make sure they are happy. When visiting numerous Jordanian homes, the host always makes sure the guests have everything they want. I have heard that the Bedouin, or the people who still live off the land, will sacrifice one of their sheep if a guest comes to visit them as a sign of honor to their guest. When visitors came to Jordan and contacted the Rotaractors, they were always taken good care of. During Ramadan, once I ordered a nice grilled-kebab dinner and while I was waiting I started talking with the cooks/workers. They then invited me behind the counter to partake in their dinner with them. By the time my dinner was finished I could barely touch it!

During my time in Jordan, I have never been "stuck" in any bad situation. Even in the beginning of my time here, when I barely knew anyone, I could always count on someone around me to help me out. While I was in the process to obtain my residency here, a Jordanian helped me understand what document I had with me and helped explain what to expect. When touring around Jerusalem, I met an Arab guy who was going to the same gate in Jerusalem as me. When he found out I had no idea where I was going but wanted to see the major holy sites, he helped me get a map, shared the info he knew and also asked a shop owner he knew to help point me in the right direction. The assistance I often received in such times was never done in an act of trying to earn money; in fact, offering money is often insulting.

CULTURAL IDENTITY

One important point that a Rotarian helped point out is that a very large percentage of people living in Jordan are actually Palestinian. This means they were either born in or their parents/grandparents were born in Israel/Palestine. I also want to point out that whether you refer to the area as Israel or Palestine, you will unavoidably upset someone. The Israelis don't like to acknowledge Palestine, and the Palestinians don't like to acknowledge Israel. The UN commonly uses the title "Occupied Palestinian Territories." After World War II many Palestinians were forced to leave their abandon their homes, business, and land, creating several hundreds of thousands of refugees. As additional wars/conflicts happened, the conflict over "whose land is whose" became more difficult which leads to the current day challenge.

The Palestinians consist of both Muslims and Christians, a point that some of my Christian-Palestinian friends have said is unknown to many. Bethlehem and Nazareth for example are two cities not commonly thought of when you talk about Palestine/Israel. Palestinians often maintain refugee status in whichever country they settle in. There are 1.9 million refugees registered with UNRWA, living in Jordan (out of a little over 6 million people). There are limits to what the refugees are allowed to do; a friend doing research on some of Jordan's policy decisions mentioned a "Jordanization" effort, which reduced Palestinian participation in various sectors, the major one being the military. Most of the cab drivers I have had told me they are from Palestine originally. Currently, Israel heavily restricts travel into the West Bank, Israel, and Gaza for Palestinians. Shortly after my trip there for Christmas, a cab driver told me he was from Bethlehem. When I excitedly shared how beautiful I thought it was there he was upset because I, a foreigner, could get into his home town but he couldn't. Another friend of mine, whose parents were from Palestine originally but they grew up in Saudi Arabia, became noticeably sad when some of the people at our table were talking about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and possible solutions. When I asked him what his thoughts/feelings were, he shared how hard it is just to hear it talked about. He mentions how his family had a strong business in the land before and his family had a very strong reputation. When he went to visit, he explained, everyone treated him with incredible respect because of who father and grandfather were. He's fearful of losing his family history and heritage when he has kids, since they are unable to live in their home town.

Among the Arab culture there are several different subcultures. Identifying with your nationality is only one of many here. The non-Palestinian Jordanians I have noticed are often quite proud of their nationality. There is even a strong pride in which city you come from. Two of the major cities I hear Jordanians often boast about are Salt and Irbid. Religion is also an identity many are extremely proud of. The Christians and Muslims get along very well in Jordan; the Christians, though a minority, are often some of the wealthiest people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greg,
Nice article, keep 'em coming more often :)

I just want to point that Nazareth is not in the west bank, it's in historical-Palestine/Israel.

Roger Berkley