Sunday, April 12, 2009

Underneath Jordan

One of my favorite parts of Jordan is actually found underneath it: the aquatic life in the Red Sea. Aqaba is the only coast Jordan has to the sea (save for the Dead Sea which doesn't have any aquatic life due to the high concentration of salt). This weekend I went to get my Advanced Open Water scuba diving certification. I've went on four dives in Aqaba before and each time was completely amazed by the rich life. I went on five total dives to receive the certification which included two wreck dives, a deep dive and a night dive. As usual I had trouble with equalizing my ears, but all of the dives were amazing. The coral in the Red Sea is amazing. It is really sad to see a lot of trash under the water. Also, among the concerned diving community there is a lot of worry on the impact of development on the health and life of the coral. I'll post pictures soon to give a little taste of what can be found, but pictures cannot replace the feeling of weightlessness and tranquility when diving. For anyone wishing to travel to Jordan, I highly recommend at least a short trip to Aqaba to snorkel near the coral, if not to do a "discovery scuba dive" which allows you to actually go under the water with the equipment and feel what it is like to dive.

No comments: