Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 3 / Youm al-thalith

So far so good! I'm really getting adjusted to the area. One thing that might take a little while to get accustomed to is how laid back a lot of life seems to be compared to back at home. In the US everything had some sort of organized system; everything seemed to have a well thought out plan and flow. One thing I will never be able to fathom is how driving works...it is more chaotic than I've ever seen, in the States and even the trip I went to Mexico. Similar to how the foreign exchange student that we hosted (aka mein Deutscher Bruder), Niko, once described the chaotic traffic we witnessed in Rome: everyone knows the other drivers are as crazy as themselves, so somehow it all comes together and works. However, unlike our trip to Rome, a car ripped off the side rear view mirror of another car RIGHT in front of some of us going to a pizzeria. Oh, and as many of my friends are well aware of my proactive stance on ensuring I, as a pedestrian in the US, executed my right of way...forget it. Crossing streets here is like the classic game Frogger...sped up 100x.

My hotel often hosts a variety of special events. We get numerous sports teams and we have had a wedding celebration on every day I've been here so far...which is actually the reason I am still awake at 12:30am writing this blog. They hold the celebration on the 7th floor. They were just blasting a drum and bass/techno version of "Smoke on the Water." The hotel is not too bad...although definitely not anywhere close to even the cheapest hotel I've stayed in in the US. Included in my language training tuition (hereafter referred to as "The Ali Baba Language Center" or something of the like) was full accomodation including all 3 meals. However, the hotel's menu does not seem to vary much at all and I am already quite tired of the food. Breakfast: mostly pita bread, fo'ol (a type of bean dish), low-quality scrambled eggs, cucubmer/tomato salad, occasionally feta cheese (which is good but VERY salted tasting), and some spreadable cheese and jam. Lunch and dinner have mostly been rice with chicken and lamb dishes, a couple veggie salads, more pita bread, pasta and some types of chocolate cake. Fortunately, food outside of the hotel is VERY cheap and I've been able to have some falafel and hummus, and soon will be trying more of the traditional style dishes.

Today my temporary host-Rotary counselor, Yousef Bashton, drove me around the city to most of the areas. Now when I step into a taxi with VERY broken Arabic, I'll know where I'm asking to go. And now that I know several other people studying here I will have people to go touring around with!

Alright the wedding reception has calmed down...time to try to sleep. Good night or messah il-kheer!

No comments: