Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My arrival in Jordan!

Finally I've got to a place with internet to make a quick update!

So far everything is going well. The hotel I am at is pretty good and the food, though good, will be getting old fast as I hear it is mostly the same every day. I hear there are very cheap places to get really good Arabic food not far from my hotel, so I will be checking those out soon.

Coincidentally, during my first flight I sat next to a Rotarian from a club in Auburn. I gave her my card and got hers, and will be in touch with her when I return to give her club a presentation...small world! My flights were long and tiring, and I got in around 2am or so...I couldn't sleep during the night much and when I did manage to get to bed I woke up to the call to prayer around 4 or 5am (I think)...it was a very beautiful sound though! During the first day I slept and last night I actually slept for a couple of hours, so I think I may avoid the serious jet lag many have forewarned me about.

There are several Americans at my hotel, and a lot of them are going through the Ali Baba Language program-the intensive Arabic training that I am completing prior to attendnig studies at the University of Jordan, Language Center (UJLC). The students have definitely been a huge help and relief. I also spoke with my Rotary contact twice as well as last year's rotary scholar here. I will be meeting up with them sometime soon. There are others from an organization that promotes peace through dialogue...I might try to check into their program more for some of my volunteer work/community service if I see them again.

My Arabic is definitely VERY VERY elementary and the year will take a lot of hard work..but so far everyone has been very helpful and I can tell the year will be great! Once I manage to find a power adapter for my laptop and find a good internet conntection at my hotel I will try to make more updates!

No comments: