Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First Report and Upcoming Trip

Life is back in as much of a routine as it can be for living abroad. Having school each day of the week makes time fly by. Some days the lesson are pretty easy, while other days I feel like I am treading heavily to follow along. Hundreds of new words are thrown at me each day, and it does not feel like I retain them. Although I am often surprised when I hear the words used or go back to review the past lessons.

I completed my Rotary First Report and sent it in. The report answered questions provided in the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship Handbook, which basically provides Rotary International a snapshot of what scholars are doing during their year abroad, some of their Rotary participation and some differences between their country and their sponsor country. It is required by Rotary International in order to receive your second/final scholarship payment. To my surprise there were a few issues with it locally, and not with Rotary International. In support of one of the differences I was pointing out (less separation between Church and State) I had mentioned one sentence that had only stated there was a controversy (objectively, without any expressed opinion on it or details). Just mentioning that there was a controversy however, sparked negative reaction which ultimately made me realize it was not significant enough to the purpose of the report; so I decided to take it out. I was originally irked because the reaction to the sentence was blown out of proportion; it was commented that I "focused my report" on the issue.

Fortunately, I have a blog and am able to provide more details on the controversy itself, which I view as a significant issue for Jordan. During Ramadan the government requires restaurants to obtain special permits to sell alcohol. Many restaurants are also closed since Muslims are supposed to fast from sunrise until sunset. Four and five star hotel restaurants and bars are open during Ramadan as well. There was a controversy over the closure of some of the Restaurants that served alcohol. Articles were written about the "crack down" in several papers, such as the Jordan Times and even by the BBC News. The means of closing one very popular ex-pat hang out, which is known for it's considerably liberal atmosphere, Books@ Cafe, was done so in a manner disputed by many. I have heard people from several sides discuss the closure, and do not wish to comment on whether or not I think it was legitimate or not (which was also how I wished to keep it in my report). A video that I think shares some of the different views that people have about the issue can be seen here: http://ikbis.com/Ibrahim/shot/134769.
The fact that I had only brought up the fact that there was a controversy and received strong reactions made me realize that it is a touchy subject for Jordan. The Jordanian government faces a challenge: trying to satisfy the balance between the majority which are socially conservative as well as the minority which are fighting for more liberal reforms. Needless to say it was definitely a learning experience.

Last week I went to a Flamenco Concert. It was very entertaining. Tonight I also went to a concert one of the other Rotary Ambassadorial scholars, Jennifer Bartmess, is playing with. They played Verdi's "Overture" from "La Forza del Destino", Mozart's Piano Concert No. 12 and Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony No. 8." The concert took me back to many pleasant enjoyable concerts I used to go to back home since several of my friends are music majors.

Tomorrow through Saturday I am going on a trip with the Rotaract clubs (hosted by the Rotaract of Amman-West). We will be first going to Wadi Rum, a famous desert canyon area where you can often camp with the bedouin, ride camels and somewhat explore the beautiful canyons and desert. The next day we're going to Aqaba, the little bit of coast Jordan has with the Red Sea. One of the Rotaractors I met scuba dives and I hope to go with him. I am ultra excited to have the chance to dive the Red Sea, since I got my open water certification last April! I'm sure I'll have something to write after my trip, along with some pictures!

No comments: