Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Here Comes Winter

In the last week it has rained twice. Today it actually “poured” for a little while as well. I was told it won’t rain much here though, so I am sure overall it was welcomed. The winter is definitely approaching however; the last two weeks have been milder than before and my apartment has been much colder than usual. My apartment does have a heater, however it is controlled by the landlord. I was told it will be run “during the winter for 8 hours”. I invested in a small heater fan which will hopefully make do until I am able to use the wall heater. Despite these precautions however, most of the buildings here are not insulated (just cement walls) and I hear the cold temperatures, even in doors, can chill you to the bones.

Lat week I went to Fuhais, a Christian town just outside of Amman, to pick olives with the Rotaract clubs. It was a joint project with Amman-Cosmopolitan, Amman-West and Amman-Petra to assist an elderly home. We filled several large bags that they will use and sell. The weather was gorgeous: sunny and a nice breeze. After a while become tiring, but I quickly got the hang of it. The following day one of the Rotaractors, Ghazi, hosted a dinner party at his house for a group of visiting Argentinians. We had the traditional Jordanian dish, Mansaf (lamb over rice with a white cream sauce called jameed poured on top). The guests were invited to join Ghazi and some others in eating the more traditional, Bedouin style way: with our hands. We would grab a small handful of the rice/lamb/sauce and make a ball of it in our (right) hand; then put it on top of our thumb and pop it in our mouth (which is to avoid using “dirty” hands). It was quite messy, but an interesting cultural experience! While some say it isn’t as common anymore in the city I was told the Bedouin (the very traditional people who live off of the land, often nomadic) will kill a lamb for their guest and cook and serve the head (with the eyes, tongue and brain!) to show that it is fresh for them. However, it can only be eaten by the guest if offered (which is a sign of respect). Will I try it if offered? I think so…but then again I don’t have a sheep’s head looking at me on a platter of Mansaf! Followed by Mansaf we had delicious Kanafa, which is an amazing, sweet pastry desert with cheese in the Middle, served warm. Both the Mansaf and Kanafa were the best I’ve had so far.

Two nights ago I went to a meeting with the Rotaract clubs to meet with the District Governor (who is visiting from Egypt). It was nice to see the all of the enthusiastic Rotaract clubs (those between 18-30 years old), as well as an Interact club (those under 18). Last night I went to my host Rotary club’s meeting (Amman-Jordan River) followed by a dinner with the District Governor (who comes from Egypt). I exchanged a flag from my sponsor Rotary club (Point West Rotary Club) and met the governor. Unfortunately I learned that my host District (2450) conference which was to be in Cairo, Egypt, was moved to a more resort-like area in Egypt. Perhaps I will visit Cairo with Fawwaz beforehand. Tomorrow will be another Rotary dinner with the District Governor, at yet another fancy hotel. The meetings here are mostly all done at higher class hotels which can add up quickly in comparison what I regular spend.

This weekend I am going to try to take a trip with the Language Center to Um Qais, where there are ruins of the old Roman City (part of the Decapolis, or the eastern frontier of the Roman Empire). Hopefully I will have more pictures soon!

No comments: