Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Update

I wanted to write a separate post for an update on what I've been doing.

I went to another formal dinner for the District Governor with all of the Rotary clubs and some Rotaractors. It was a pleasant dinner where I was able to meet several more Rotarians that I will continue to struggle with trying to remember the names of when I see them. Afterwards I went to a Halloween party at the U.S. Embassy. Since the dinner started later than planned and ended even later, the party had somewhat died down from what it was before. It was still nice to be able to go in there and celebrate one of our unique holidays with some friends. The next day I went to another Halloween party which, according to a handful of Jordanians I spoke with there, was probably one of the largest parties thrown in Amman. Not to my surprise, the police ended up coming and breaking up the party (peacefully). The reason most likely being because it was after 12am and there was alcohol present...not to mention some pretty "liberal" (for Jordan) costumes.

Fawwaz helped me get in touch with a lady working for the UNDP (United Nations Development Project) for a possible internship or volunteer work. The opportunities sound great and I am excited to gain more experience during my year. Some of the projects might be coordinated with the Rotaract club I am primarily volunteering with (Rotaract of Amman-Petra).

On Friday I will be attending the Marine Ball. There will be over 350 guests in attendance, including the Ambassador, Generals, US and Jordanian government officials and many others. Needless to say, I am looking forward to it.


I also wanted to post a few pictures I just found from some of the events I have been doing:






















Photos from Wadi Rum witht he Rotaractors.













Bingo Night with Rotract








Port of Aqaba...the Red Sea is gorgeous!








Picking Olives in Madaba with the Rotaract clubs for an elderly home.












Much older picture: pre-Ramadan brunch at Blue Fig.

No comments: