Monday, August 4, 2008

Classes Begin \ Language Barrier

Before I left, many people called me crazy for going to the Middle East. Currently, I would agree with that statement, however not for the same reasons as intended. I'm not crazy for coming here because everyone hates America and I risk impending danger no matter where I go- this in fact, is far from the truth. I have not yet once met a single person who dislikes America and have not been threatened. Instead, I agree that I am crazy for coming to the Middle East because what little Arabic I had in school (3 semesters, which were somewhat spaced apart as well as 2 years prior to my actually arriving here) is almost useless in trying to communicate here! Usually the Arabic you study in school is "Modern Standard Arabic" or "fusHa." This is primarily used in news broadcasts and among professionals. although it is commonly understood among the educated. The colloquial dialects or "amiya" are considerably different. Add my elementary exposure to such a complex language, the differences in fusHa and amiya and the machine-gun-speed at which people speak and you have a recipe for many difficult times. English is commonly studied and known here among the educated/wealthy, however the taxi drivers are usually will know very little to no English. I do admit that I did originally expect more people to be more proficient in English; this is not bad however, and will definitely help me in the long run. My Arabic classes yesterday and today were both pretty difficult. My instructor, 'abla, is limited in her English. When I come across unfamiliar words it is difficult to figure them out. During our lessons a music store opens up shop and blasts Arabic music, which adds to the stress.

After my first class yesterday I met with who I believe will be my permanent host counselor, Fawaz. I went food shopping with him, and picked up a map of Amman for myself. He bought me a really tasty (Syrian) dessert, which I forgot the name of. It was a cake with a ton of whipped creme, almonds, honey I believe and a couple other spices. Then he dropped me off
in Smeisani (another part of Amman), where I met one of the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholars from last year, Liana Paris. She was very helpful with providing tips and insights about my year abroad and will definitely be helpful along the way, as well as a nice person to know! Going back to my limited language: trying to tell the taxi driver where my Hotel is was a huge challenge, and trying to understand him was impossible. One common thing Liana suggested is to call friends proficient in Arabic direct them over the phone.

Today I also met up with a student at the University of Jordan, Yazan, who I originally got in contact with through the UJ Facebook group, and his friend Omar. Before coming here, and after I arrived, he was very eager to get in touch with me and offered me assistance with whatever I need. He enjoys helping students work on Arabic. They were both very good at English, and as we drove around they would teach me some of the 'amiya and slang.

Tomorrow I have class earlier and in the evening will be going to a Rotary social Fawaz invited me to, with my friend Tom. Unfortunately it sounds like another loud Arabic wedding on the 7th floor...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep on keepin on amigo