Friday, August 8, 2008

Major relief and Beijing Olympics 2008!

Wednesday I signed up for a bank account at the Bank of Jordan, relieving much stress. I had remembered the other day that my bank card was a temporary card and will expire within one and a half weeks, since I had just moved over to a larger bank in the U.S. before departing. It is definitely a good idea for anyone traveling abroad to have an account at a major financial institution. My parents will wire me my scholarship funds to my local bank account and all should be fine and good!

The next major steps for me will be to register at the University and then at the police station. Both of these processes I have heard are quite bureaucratic, and I have only heard negative comments about the University coordinator. I will cross those bridges when I get there…in a week or two.

Classes have still been difficult as it’s really hard to communicate with and understand the teacher…and on occasion I’ve gotten mistranslations. It sounds like our schedule will be constant now: 12pm-4pm all week, from Sunday through Thursday, with two hours of the colloquial (‘amiah) and two hours of Modern Standard Arabic (FusHa). I really can’t wait for the University classes to begin, since I’ll be around other students and will meet several other Jordanians.

Today was my first taste of the Middle East Friday. I learned from one of the students at my language training (a really super nice, outgoing and animated Italian named David) explained to me how “Al-Jumah” means something along the lines of “congregation.” Friday is the day Muslims go to the mosque for their prayers and service (which if I have the opportunity I would be interested in seeing). So basically 90% or more of all the shops are closed until after the service…which here was until sometime around 1:30pm. There was a shwarma place open though, which is where I got my lunch. Shwarma’s are basically an Arabic sandwich, usually Chicken or Lamb and some produce. The places will have a huge chunk of meat spinning on a rotisserie and saw pieces off on order. They are very tasty, although I heard not too long before I came to Jordan there were cases of salmonella and King Abdullah II closed down all places until they were inspected and re-granted a license to sell shwarma. Fortunately, of the two I’ve been to so far, I’ve had no problems!

A couple of the others at the Ali Baba Language Center and I went to the “Champion Sports Bar” in the Marriot to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I thought they were incredible! The only other times I’ve paid much attention to the Olympics were the closing ceremonies to the Olympics in Australia when I was in Germany. It really is amazing to see so many people from so many countries get together. There was cheering for several countries as they processed in: there was a group of Chinese students at the restaurant we were at; one of the girls with us was Iraqi from Holland; one guy with us was from Switzerland; Tom has Romanian heritage; I was in Germany; and obviously we all cheered for Jordan and of course the USA!!!

1 comment:

Choregus said...

Your experience and mine (when I was in Israel) are really similar! The traffic, for one thing... isn't it hysterical?!?
And the whole grabbing you by your suspenders and throwing you head first into a class level that's one level too high... I know that one. Americans like they're comfort zone... but you never learn if you don't get stretched. Your brain gets to work overtime and it's exhausting, but well worth it in the end. Just keep speaking! :)