Monday, August 11, 2008

Pictures etc



Things are going well now. Class is still difficult but I've grown accustomed to it. Now instead of seeing it as a major obstacle, I see it as a fun and exciting challenge. While I don't understand 70% of the words coming out of my teacher's mouth, I'm finding it easier to still understand what I'm being instructed to do. As nerdy as this will sound, I remember watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager a long time ago (I was probably still only a Freshman in High School) and being fascinated when one of the crew, Chikotay (sp), was communicating with a planets natives with just simple gestures and words. Learning to communicate in a foreign language takes a lot of hard work and patience, and can cause major headaches, but it always brings about a feeling of accomplishment.

On the weekend some of us went to a bar/restaurant called La Calle in the "Ballad" or the older "downtown." It was an "Italian Restaurant" / Western bar. The food was good as was the beer. It was happy hour so it was cheap; usually alcohol is expensive here. Yazin, the person I met through the UJLC picked us up, so we were able to save the taxi money! Afterwards Yazin, his friend Omar and I chatted for a good 45 minutes in the lobby of the hotel. After my pre-Univeristy language training, I hope to go to a couple of the sites with them.

On Saturday I went to my first Arabic Mass with Rachel, a student from England and Omar, a Rotarian my host counselor, Fawwaz, introduced me to. Omar was very nice and helpful at explaining things; and afterward he introduced us to the priest. It was very similar, being a Roman Catholic Mass. I only understood maybe 10 words at the most. They also have Mass in English and French, but I think for my studies and cultural experiences I'd like to try and continue attending the Arabic ones.

Fawwaz got me in touch with a member of the Rotaract (here commonly referred to as Rotary Act) and I will attend their meeting next Monday, to hopefully start getting involved. Also, this Saturday I will be attending a different Rotary club's meeting with last year's Ambassadorial Scholar, Liana. She wants to introduce me to a Rotarian she met who is beginning a program working to assist Palestinian refugees. While this isn't my host Rotary club, it sounds like something I'd really like to get involved with. Fawwaz also is eager to have me attend, and join, the Toast Masters club he attends. I have a feeling soon I'll becoming much busier!



Some of Amman's "country side."

The University Mosque

A statue on the main intersection by my hotel; some Quranic verses...I haven't read them up close yet.

The Ali Baba class, most of which are leaving within a week or two at the most.


I'm going to try to upload some pictures on here, so we'll see how they come out.





No comments: