Saturday, August 16, 2008

Update x 2

Hello again, to all and any readers! This blog is actually both a blog I wasn't able to post on the 14th due to the poor internet connection, and then one for today (the 16th)

AUGUST 14th:
While the many Arabic marriage celebrations have often been an annoyance as far as trying to sleep (which I have recently remedied: falling to sleep while listening to my iPod), the procession into the hotel is full of energy and very exciting. Last night I was in the lobby as a Palestinian marriage procession (you can usually tell by the color of the Kafir (traditional head scarf) often worn by the attendees or musicians, so I’ve learned. The black one is the Palestinian and one specific pattern of red is the Jordanian. As the procession came in they had musicians with drums and a trumpet and someone singing on a megaphone. The many attendees as well as everyone else in the lobby joined in singing and dancing. Earlier that day I met a large group of Jordanians who are here on some type of project. They were very friendly and at one point I had about 8 different people crowded around me, helping to translate the dialogue in my school book. During the procession a couple of them came over to me and I joined in clapping with them. Afterward many of us were gathering in the lobby to chat about all sorts of things. One of them is going to take an English proficiency test soon, and I will probably help tutor him, and he me in Arabic. Unfortunately the internet connection won't let me upload the video. I'll try another time.

Today I went with Khalid, the nephew of one of my Dad’s coworkers, to look for an apartment. The first couple weren’t too great; either they weren’t too clean or too expensive. We found one right at the North Gate to the University for really cheap and with all the attributes I was hoping for. Fawwaz, my Rotary counselor, had raised a couple questions about it and we might go double check on Saturday to make sure everything is fully covered and to get it in writing. They were going to call Khalid in a week as well, since I still have a little time left at this hotel. There were plenty of options for me to move out, but this so far appears to be the best option. We’ll see!

August 16th

I went with Fawwaz back to the same apartment complex today and pretty much have an apartment lined up for myself. The resident moved out yesterday. It's a little smaller (but still an ok size) and should be a nice home for the year. It's a studio for 230 JD, with water and electricity included, a small but decent kitchen, an ok bathroom with a washer and "dryer" (which is a spin cycle only). They can also run a cable to my room for an internet connection at 1 JD/day...if it's not too slow then I'll go for it, if not Fawwaz says I can subscribe to a local plan for cheap as well. It's right next to the North Gate of the University and there are plenty of restaurants and shops around, including a mini super market in the lobby on the bottom floor. It'll take a little extra cleaning up on my part, and I'll need to go shopping with Fawwaz soon for some items. I'm definitely looking forward to my own place!

The group of Jordanians that I've met in my hotel are in a training seminar and are part of an NGO called Shabakat Al Ordon (___ of Jordan). I met their counselor/trainer and might look into what they do more too. Everyone I've met are so nice and love chatting with me. One guy, Ahmad, is helping me with my Arabic and I help him with his English, since he's taking the TOEFL test in a month. Another guy invited me to his city Madaba sometime where we'll eat the traditional Jordanian dish Mensif. I actually had it today with Fawwaz for lunch, and it was pretty good. It's lamb over rice in a yogurt sauce. We also shared Knaffa, an Arabic cheese dessert-Knaffa. It is a warm dessert of cheese inside crushed wheat with sugar and some crushed pistachios on top. There is another kind with some sort of small noodles on top which I'll have to try soon. Very delicious.

In a little while I'll be going to a Rotary meeting at the Amman-Philadelphia club. (Philadelphia being the name given to Amman during the Egyptian rule). Last year's scholar, Liana, is going to introduce me to a Rotarian she met who is somehow involved in working with refugees, and thought I'd be interested in talking to him. I definitely look forward to getting involved here.


1 comment:

Choregus said...

Greg! I'm so jealous! It sounds like you're having an amazing time with amazing experiences! And here we all are...going through the same ol' thing every day. Blah.