Thursday, August 21, 2008

What's the Arabic word for Bureaucracy?

No matter how many of thousands of miles away I leave the U.S. I find that bureaucracy is inescapable. With registering for the UJLC and applying for residency here in Jordan, I’ve probably lost several gallons of sweat due to walking back and forth to different administration buildings in the heat. I actually have quite a few things yet to do to submit my application for residency, so it is far from over. Plus, come next semester I’ll have to do the school registration once again.

Lately I’ve been a bit homesick. I’ve been thinking a lot about my family and friends. After re-reading the nice letter my Mom gave me, and looking at the wonderful pictures she included, I really felt it the worst. The pictures of me and my family when we went golfing, and of my family, Bridget and I at my Knights of Columbus 4th degree ceremony, really made me wish I could go back to old times. When I was 16 and went to Germany as an exchange student for a year, I remember missing my family at first too. This time however, with a lot of my friends, many of them are going to move on with their lives. Already, since I got here, my friends Robert and Allison got married. One of my best friends, Nick, proposed to his girlfriend and will most likely get married while I’m gone. I’ve considered flying back there for the wedding, but I would have to use my own money and round trip tickets are just too much, especially since when I get back I will most likely not have a job for a little while and with how bad the dollar is doing. Bridget and my sister, Jessica, are graduating. My sister will probably stay in town, but Bridget may end up finding a journalism job in another State. I’m also curious where my future will take me, after this year. One of my biggest wishes is that I would come back with some type of job in International Relations, working between the U.S. and Middle East. My Dad would often say “you’re not coming back; you will get a job before coming back, and most likely work on the East Coast or overseas.” If he is right about the job, I do want to return home to see everyone.

As always, my Arabic class is still a major challenge. The speed has picked up, but unfortunately I think it’s going a little too fast. I don’t have enough time to really memorize all the new words. Yesterday we went over several body parts and today twice as many objects/parts of a house. She had me draw “me” and label myself with the new words as well as drawing and labeling all the parts of a house. This is a very good tip for others who are more “visual learners.”

I went to a Rotaract meeting last Monday. There was a guest speaker who presented on “Energy Work.” Without wanting to really misrepresent his beliefs, he explained his beliefs on energy and healing. It was interactive and there were some interesting debates/questions; especially since there was a doctor and pharmacist. I met the secretary and past president of another Rotaract club (Amman-River I believe). Everyone was very nice, and I’m definitely looking forward to participating with them.

I’m hoping to move into my new place on Sunday. I need to talk to Fawwaz to see when he is available to go with me to settle and sign the rental contract. He tried to have me read it by myself, but after spending an hour I barely managed to get a few sentences into it. A nephew of my Dad’s coworker, Khalid, who is living here was a huge help in figuring out the terms. I’m excited to move out of the hotel for many reasons…my own food, no loud crowds of sports teams, a washer machine (instead of washing my clothes in the bath tub as I have been doing), better internet, not having to hear the same mix of music-consisting of songs from Titanic, this very weird European-passionate-club-type song, a very oriental sounding song and a song from Kill Bill 2 and many other "classics"- all day and every day in the hotel, the comfort of my “own place” and I’m sure many others.

No comments: